College of Marine and Environmental Sciences,
Department of Marine Geology
- Preparing scientifically qualified human cadres to work in the public and private sectors in the various fields of marine sciences for the bachelor’s and master’s levels
- Conducting basic and applied research in the field of marine sciences
- Follow-up of various marine phenomena and their regional effects, and the study of the marine environment in the Republic of Somalia
- The study of marine resources for the purpose of optimal use
- Holding seminars, conferences and specialized scientific courses
- Cooperating with scientific institutions and national, Arab and international bodies related to marine sciences by providing scientific and technical advice
Community service by
- Contribute to environmental awareness in cooperation with national, Arab and international institutions and bodies
- Contribute to campaigns to clean beaches and coral reefs and organize programs to preserve and protect the marine environment
- Contribute to awareness and optimal investment of resources
- Holding training courses in the field of marine sciences and marine environment for the relevant sectors of society
- Excellence in higher education and training programs in the marine sciences
- Quality in scientific research to serve national and international concerns
- A methodology in exploring marine resources to support the national economy
- Programs to protect the marine environment to serve the community
- Providing distinguished higher education in the fields of marine sciences and studies for Somali and non-Somali youth for those who wanted to specialize in this science and study it to support the community’s needs in various maritime authorities
- Training of employees of government agencies and the private sector in the maritime fields
- Carrying out scientific research in a systematic and integrated manner using follow-up and simulation techniques (modeling) and playing a key role in encouraging research and development in the field of marine sciences.
- Establishing regional and international cooperation in education and research
- Keeping abreast of the latest technological developments
- Preparing and issuing community awareness publications
Marine sciences has become one of the most important applied sciences in our modern age, as it is mainly concerned with studying the seas and oceans, which occupy most of the area of our planet in which we live by 71%. resources using optimal scientific methods.
If we look at the sources of mineral wealth on land, we find that they are starting to run out as a result of the greatness of their exploitation to meet the increasing requirements of the world’s population, whose number has doubled over the years, while we find that the sea’s balance of these minerals is almost constant, and the world has begun to turn to the sea as a huge mine for most minerals and chemical elements. Also, energy sources began to diminish on the ground, and the world is currently searching for alternatives, including exploiting sea waves, tides, and large ocean water temperature differences between the surface and the depths to produce energy. In short, the sea is currently the most important source of food, minerals, fresh water and energy, and this is the reason for the interest of the developed countries in studying the seas and oceans and spending generously on research programs aimed at exploring and exploiting their living and non-living wealth through prestigious universities that study marine sciences in various specializations.
King Abdul Aziz University has taken these matters into consideration and established in 1395 AH a Department of Marine Sciences affiliated with the College of Science, and the study in it was initially limited to the specialization of marine biology for the bachelor’s stage, and since the study of marine sciences cannot be limited to one major, the disciplines of marine sciences complete Each of them is the other, so the University Supreme Council Resolution No. 2 was issued on 6/7/1398 AH to establish the Institute of Marine Sciences comprising four specialized departments: Biological, physical, chemical and geological marine sciences in order to carry out its educational role and conduct scientific research. Then the name of the Institute of Marine Sciences was changed to College of Marine Sciences by decision of the Supreme Council of the University
In addition to the aforementioned disciplines, the maritime transport industry has developed and the disciplines have been introduced among themselves so that marine sciences and the shipping industry are linked together. Therefore, the college has established the Department of Maritime Studies, which includes three divisions: the Navigation and Marine Survey Division, the Marine Engineering Division, and the Ports and Maritime Transport Division. The important disciplines of marine sciences and the important disciplines of maritime transport have been integrated, and the approval of the Supreme Council of the University was issued in its forty-third meeting held in its resolution No. (8) referred to in the letter of the Secretary-General of the University Council to establish the Department of Maritime Studies in its three divisions: Navigation and Maritime Surveying, Marine Engineering, Ports and Maritime Transport , which later became independent and became an independent college.